My First Coaching Session - A Report Back
by Mara Burger
January/February has been hectic so far and getting through the 1st manual took me ages. Once I got through it I realised that I couldn't remember much so I went back to the beginning and started making notes which kept me focused in the now.
My first practical session was terrible. I forgot to put off my cellphone and yes, right in the middle of my nervous introduction, it rang. For a usually organised person I was so disorganised with paper and notes all over the show. I was totally depressed after the session and my inner critic had a field day. Then the pain/pleasure thing kicked into action and the thought of me just not cutting it and giving up after my first try (which I did consider for a short while) gave me just too much pain to go there and that brought my focus right back to my goal - to be a Life Coach!
In retrospect I'd offer to share my thoughts and what I have learnt:
1. Stop being so hard on yourself; it was only your first try at this. Imagine how you will ace this after 10 sessions.
2. Wow you remembered. "There are no failure only feedback" and "No mistakes only results". So what is your problem - learn from this.
3. 1 Hour is not enough time for setting proper goals. The next one book 2 hours.
4. You will have to practice what you preach. Setting SMERTIE goals for you is important. And you must do it for all the areas of the Life Wheel. Work on it, refine it, make it perfect. Then you will know what you are talking about.
5. Coaching a friend you know very well is difficult. You will have to learn to be more professional.
6. You will have to remember the cell phone - crucial.
7. You will have to work on your mental prep. Forget the notes and that you might not remember the questions. Learn to listen to your intuition and heart.
8. You have to relax and make it more fun. Don't be so serious "What is the worst that can happen?"
9. From now on I adapt the following affirmations and I will say it a hundred times a day:
"I am a genius and I apply my wisdom"
"I retain everything that I read"
Maybe you can relate and maybe you want to share so that we could grow together. Keep the faith and the vision.